Saturday, May 4, 2013

Savage Detectives Arrives


The book arrived yesterday and only then did I realize what exactly is the book's type. I took a risk buying this book as I had the least idea of the book Its story or about its author but it seems the risk is paying off. I feel the book is completely worth its price after seeing its size (577 pages),critical acclamation (about 10 reviews were shown in its last few pages ),some add on s plus a super cover design (Its because the publisher is celebrating its 40th anniversary) and finally starting to read the book. Some of the reviews described it as a cult, modern classic which is exactly what I was looking for. The book contains first person narrative of some 52 people all of them I believe Mexican and other Latin American poets. Originally the book is a Mexican novel written in Spanish (naturally) published in 1998.The one I am reading is an English translation done in 2007 published by Picador of Pan Macmillan. The Author Roberto Bolano a Chilean. He died in 2003 at the age of 50. The book is printed in a better quality paper and this surprised me considering its price and bigger size.Usually pan and some other including harper prints paper backs in a dimmer and less whitier kind of paper but this book is not.Its then I saw in the front of the book that publication was with an help of a subsidy from Spanish Ministry of Culture. Now that explained the price tag of just £8 when usually its more than £13 (I being in India paid Rs.277 in discount from Rs 350 it amounts to about £6). Having only just started cant tell much of the content other than that it’s a first person narrative. Its also humorously narrated and will never bore anyone. But I cant help but connect the writing style in the book with last years prose section of my English text book. The book I feel is one of my best buys That I am sure. Thanks to its size it will engage me for quite few days.. 

No comments: